I have to say most of the time when I think about making a cake I just want to decorate it. I tend to use boxed cake mixes the majority of the time. I’m sure this will change when my daughter wants to help me bake but for now I want something quick and easy and reliable. having said that there is no reason not to be as creative as possible with those cakes.
If you want a boxed cake mix to taste deceptively decadent it’s easy; just do some simple substitutions.
- Use yolks instead of what ever kind of eggs it calls for. Yolks add richness to the cake that makes it seem too good to be from a box. This works perfectly if you use the left overs from the Swiss Meringue Butter-Cream and leaves nothing to go to waste. Adding yolks to a white cake rather than whites will technically make the cake a yellow cake but really unless you are baking a white wedding cake who cares?
- Add an extra egg. This adds richness if you don’t happen to have yolks to use up.
- Substitute fruit juice, beer or milk for water. This will also make the cake richer. Fruit juice or beer will leave people wondering what your secret ingredient is. I’m sure you could use pop too but I have never tried that one.
- Exchange butter for oil. Butter is always better.
- Add fruit puree mixed half and half with your liquid of choice.
- Add flavors. Cinnamon, mint extract, coconut, nuts, dried fruit, banana. the sky is the limit!
Have fun! The very worst case scenario your cake will flop. Not a big deal. You may even discover something new!