- Keep your onions in the fridge: this one works the best. When the onions are cold the tear causing fumes don’t seem to get sent into the air.
- Breath only through your mouth while chopping: this also usually works just so long as you remember to keep breathing through your mouth as it is kind of an unnatural thing to do.
- Don’t cut the root ends off the onion cut up to them. it does seem to help a little
- Hold a match in your mouth while you chop your onions. My grandmother swore by this one she said it was the sulfur that stopped the burning fumes.
- Wear goggles. It looks very silly but it makes sense that it works. I’ve never actually tried this one and I can’t remember who told me about it but I remember laughing about it.
- Turn on a fan. This makes sense. The fan will dissipate the fumes.
- Burn a candle where you are chopping. supposedly the candle will burn away the fumes being released by the onion. I haven’t tried this one yet but I certainly will the next time I have some chopping to do.
- Use a really sharp knife. This will disturb fewer cells holding the fumes.
I read somewhere that onion fumes are actually quite healing for eyes. I’m inclined to believe it because my eyes were really dry and blood-shot for weeks and then I happened to cut the strongest onion I’ve cut in a while. Although it burned so bad I could barely see through the tears when I was done chopping my eyes weren’t blood-shot any more and they haven’t bothered me since.